Full Bio: Keith J. Hays
Legal and Professional Organizations and Involvements:
- Defense Research Institute, Young Lawyers Committee and Marketing Committee
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, Trial Tactics Committee Board Member
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Forum on Environmental and Toxic Tort Initiatives
- Council on Litigation Management
- Tractor Trailer Manufacturers Association
Published Legal Decisions:
- Kovach v. Caligor Midwest, et al., 913 N.E.2d 193 (Ind. 2009). Affirmed summary judgment for medical product manufacturer.
- Berry v. American Standard, Inc, et al., 888 N.E.2d 740 (Ill. App. Ct. 2008). Affirmed summary judgment for premises owners and product manufacturers and held that under Illinois law discovery depositions are inadmissible for any purpose other than impeachment.
- McCorkle v. ACandS, Inc., et al., 842 N.E.2d 877 (Ind. Ct. App. 2006) and Faris v. ACandS, Inc., et al., 842 N.E.2d 870 (Ind. Ct. App. 2006). Companion cases establishing the relation back of amendment of pleadings in mass-filed and previously stayed cases and the application of personal representative rules and service of process issues in toxic tort cases.
- PSI Energy, Inc. v. Roberts Jr., 829 N.E.2d 943 (Ind. 2005). Amicus curiae brief submitted on behalf of Appellant premises owner in case which established favorable Indiana law on the obligations of a premises owner to the employees of third-party contractors.
- Roberts v. ALCOA, Inc., et al., 811 N.E.2d 166 (Ind. Ct. App. 2004). Affirmed denial of plaintiffs’ bill of costs for expenses voluntarily incurred in 10-week trial off-site from courthouse. Plaintiffs had initially sought over $400,000 from all 34 original defendants.
- Richter v. Asbestos Insulating & Roofing, et al., 790 N.E.2d 1000 (Ind. Ct. App. 2003). Affirmed that dismissal with prejudice of husband’s prior complaint barred widow’s subsequent wrongful death action pursuant to doctrine of res judicata.
Seminars and Articles:
- Mealey’s Construction Defect SuperConference, Las Vegas, NV, “Damage Control: Risk Management Approaches to Avoiding Construction Defect Claims” (November 7-9, 2007).
- Mealey’s Teleconference: Avandia Litigation Update, “Cardiology for Pharma Lawyers: Take it to Heart and Win Your Case” (October 18, 2007).
- Mealey’s Avandia Litigation Conference, Chicago, IL, “Defense Issues with Avandia” (July 13, 2007).
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana Annual Meeting, Michigan City, Indiana,
“Indiana’s New Plain-English Jury Instructions” (November 18, 2010)
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana Annual Meeting, French Lick, Indiana,
“Voir Dire in Today’s Environment” (November 10, 2011)
- “A Valuable Opportunity: Today’s Economy and Its Effect on Litigation,” For the Defense, Volume 51, Number 6 (June 2009).
- “Indiana’s New Pattern Jury Instructions in Products Liability Cases,” The Indiana Lawyer (November 10, 2010)
- “No Longer A Luxury: Technology as a Vital Tool to Educate the Fact-Finder,” For the Defense, (September 2011).
- “Indiana Allows Attorneys Fees in Wrongful Death Claims,” KPDE Legal Advisory, (July 7, 2011).
- Soon to Be Published: Indiana Civil Litigation Review for 2012.
- Fall Creek Little League Baseball, Head Coach
- OCC Football, Head Coach
- OCC Volleyball, Head Coach
- Active volunteer for Holy Cross Lutheran School and Heritage Christian School Dad’s Clubs
Educational and Professional Background:
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, Indianapolis, Indiana
J.D., May 1998
Midwest Medical Research Foundation, Fellow 1996
- WITTENBERG UNIVERSITY, Springfield, Ohio
B.A., Political Science, May 1994
- Indiana, Supreme Court of Indiana
- Indiana, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- Indiana, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- Illinois, Supreme Court of Illinois
- Illinois, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- Illinois, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois